Visiting the graduate schools you are interested in is a crucial step in your decision-making. Through a visit, you will be able to get a feel for the institution and its personality that is very hard to describe on a website or through a brochure. One visit option is attending an open house; here are some pointers for attending open house events.
- Come prepared with questions.
- Ask questions in the appropriate setting. There will be many guests, if your question is a general question, ask it aloud during a Q&A session; if it’s a very specific question, ask it individually.
- Listen to other students’ questions; they may ask something you never thought to ask.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to talk with as many representatives from the schools as possible—professors, staff, admissions staff, students, and alumni. Everyone has a different perspective.
- Stay for the entire event, the best part is usually at the end when you can speak with individual representatives.
- Find time to explore the city/town as well as the school. This could be your future home.