Your GRE scores are a very important part of your application. It is one of the only quantitative measures of your file. With that in mind, it is very important to know a few details about the test scores.
1) We require your test scores be submitted by the deadline: January 15th for fellowship consideration and February 1st for admission only. You cannot take the GRE on January 14th and expect us to consider your application for fellowships. It can take up to 3 weeks for ETS and GW to process your GRE scores. We advise applicants to take the GRE no later than mid-December to allow plenty of time for processing.
2) If you have taken more than one GRE on the same scoring scale, we will only consider the highest score in each section. Consider the example below:
Jean took the GRE twice. On the first exam she scored a 156 on the verbal section, 164 on the quantitative section and 5.0 on the analytical writing section. On her second exam her quantitative score stayed the same while her verbal score rose to a 158 and her analytical writing score dropped to a 4.5. The admissions committee will see Jean’s scores as a 158 on the verbal section, 164 on the quantitative section and 5.0 on the analytical writing section.
3) The Elliott School does not have any minimum GRE scores. Our average GRE scores are 160 on the verbal section, 154 on the quantitative section and 4.5 on the analytical writing. As these are our averages, we have admitted students with GRE scores higher and lower than these numbers. We will consider every piece of your application.
4) GRE scores remain valid for 5 years. If you took the GRE in 2008, you can use those scores as part of your application.
5) Very few applicants receive an exemption from taking the GRE. If you are applying to the M.I.P.P., M.I.S., or any of our graduate certificate programs you do not need to submit GRE scores. Also, if you already have an advanced degree, you also do not need to submit GRE scores. We do strongly recommend these applicants submit scores if available, but your application may be completed without them.
6) Scores must come to GW directly from ETS. We cannot accept self-reported scores. Please send an official score report to school code 5246 and the scores will be matched with your application.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have a question about GRE scores or any other part of the application process! You can email us at email@example.com or call us at 202-994-7050. We are more than happy to help!