Now is the best time to explore, and apply for, additional fellowship opportunities to help offset the cost of a graduate program. While students are automatically considered for ESIA fellowships so long as they apply by our January 7th deadline, there are additionals funds students can make separate applications for.
At GWU, there is an entire office dedicated to compiling funding sources for GW students, that Elliott School students and applicants qualify for! Be sure to explore the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships in-depth.
*It’s worth noting that many fellowship opportunities have deadlines that occur PRIOR to learning an admission decision. You will want to be sure to apply by the deadlines listed on the GW Fellowship page. Most fellowship opportunities will notify you AFTER you’ve heard your admission decision.
Additionally, we encourage students to explore outside opportunities for funding. A great place to start is by visiting the Association of Professional Schools in International Affairs (APSIA).
Below are a few of the opportunities that can be found on our website:
Opportunities for U.S. Citizens and/or Permanent Residents:
- Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Academic Year and FLAS Summer Fellowships (Deadline: February 1st @ 12:00 PM)
- Americorps Matching Award (Rolling Deadline)
- Grad2Grad, for current GWU undergraduate students (Rolling Deadline)
- McNair Fellowships (for students who were McNair fellows as undergraduates)
- Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program
- Scottish Rite Endowment Graduate Fellowships
- The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
- Walter Green (Deadline: March 10, 2017)
- Wolcott Foundation Fellowship, students must have a 3.8 GPA or higher to be considered (Deadline: January 31st)
Opportunities for International Students:
- Global Leaders Fellowship (Deadline, February 5th, 2017)
- Humane Studies Fellowships
- Carlos Slim (for students from Mexico)
There are many opportunities available, and these are not limited to what is provided on our website. We strongly encourage all applicants to explore and review as many sources as possible. Be sure to check our website for up to date opportunities as well.